What do Civil Engineers do?
Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, and water and sewage systems.
- Manage and direct staff members and the construction, operations, or maintenance activities at project site.
- Provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs to industrial and managerial personnel.
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility.
- Test soils or materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Plan and design transportation or hydraulic systems and structures, following construction and government standards, using design software and drawing tools.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects.
- Prepare or present public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Direct or participate in surveying to lay out installations or establish reference points, grades, or elevations to guide construction.
- Conduct studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions to identify engineering problems and assess potential project impact.
- Analyze manufacturing processes or byproducts to identify engineering solutions to minimize the output of carbon or other pollutants.
- Design energy efficient or environmentally sound civil structures.
- Design or engineer systems to efficiently dispose of chemical, biological, or other toxic wastes.
- Develop or implement engineering solutions to clean up industrial accidents or other contaminated sites.
- Direct engineering activities ensuring compliance with environmental, safety, or other governmental regulations.
- Identify environmental risks and develop risk management strategies for civil engineering projects.
Related Jobs (Civil Engineers)