What do Geophysical Data Technicians do?
Measure, record, or evaluate geological data, using sonic, electronic, electrical, seismic, or gravity-measuring instruments to prospect for oil or gas. May collect or evaluate core samples or cuttings.
- Prepare notes, sketches, geological maps, or cross-sections.
- Read and study reports in order to compile information and data for geological and geophysical prospecting.
- Interview individuals, and research public databases in order to obtain information.
- Assemble, maintain, or distribute information for library or record systems.
- Operate or adjust equipment or apparatus used to obtain geological data.
- Plan and direct activities of workers who operate equipment to collect data.
- Set up or direct set-up of instruments used to collect geological data.
- Record readings in order to compile data used in prospecting for oil or gas.
- Supervise oil, water, or gas well-drilling activities.
- Collect samples or cuttings, using equipment or hand tools.
- Create photographic recordings of information, using equipment.
- Measure geological characteristics used in prospecting for oil or gas, using measuring instruments.
- Evaluate and interpret core samples and cuttings, and other geological data used in prospecting for oil or gas.
- Diagnose or repair malfunctioning instruments or equipment, using manufacturers' manuals and hand tools.
- Prepare and attach packing instructions to shipping containers.
- Develop and design packing materials and handling procedures for shipping of objects.
- Apply new technologies, such as improved seismic imaging techniques, to locate untapped oil or natural gas deposits.
- Collect data on underground areas, such as reservoirs, that could be used in carbon sequestration operations.
- Collect geological data from potential geothermal energy plant sites.
- Compile data used to address environmental issues, such as the suitability of potential landfill sites.
- Conduct geophysical surveys of potential sites for wind farms or solar installations to determine their suitability.
Related Jobs (Geophysical Data Technicians)