What do Nuclear Equipment Operation Technicians do?
Operate equipment used for the release, control, or utilization of nuclear energy to assist scientists in laboratory or production activities.
- Follow policies and procedures for radiation workers to ensure personnel safety.
- Set control panel switches, according to standard procedures, to route electric power from sources and direct particle beams through injector units.
- Adjust controls of equipment to control particle beam movement, pulse rates, energy or intensity, or radiation, according to specifications.
- Monitor instruments, gauges, and recording devices in control rooms during operation of equipment, under direction of nuclear experimenters.
- Modify, devise, and maintain equipment used in operations.
- Perform testing, maintenance, repair, or upgrading of accelerator systems.
- Warn maintenance workers of radiation hazards and direct workers to vacate hazardous areas.
- Submit computations to supervisors for review.
- Communicate with accelerator maintenance personnel to ensure readiness of support systems, such as vacuum, water cooling, or radio frequency power sources.
- Calculate equipment operating factors, such as radiation times, dosages, temperatures, gamma intensities, or pressures, using standard formulas and conversion tables.
- Collect air, water, gas or solid samples for testing to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Decontaminate objects by cleaning them using soap or solvents or by abrading using brushes, buffing machines, or sandblasting machines.
- Follow nuclear equipment operational policies and procedures that ensure environmental safety.
- Identify and implement appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Measure the intensity and identify the types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials, using radiation detectors or other instruments.
- Monitor nuclear reactor equipment performance to identify operational inefficiencies, hazards, or needs for maintenance or repair.
- Prepare reports to communicate information such as contamination test results, decontamination results, or decontamination procedures.
Related Jobs (Nuclear Equipment Operation Technicians)