What do Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians do?
Cut, grind, and polish eyeglasses, contact lenses, or other precision optical elements. Assemble and mount lenses into frames or process other optical elements. Includes precision lens polishers or grinders, centerer-edgers, and lens mounters.
- Adjust lenses and frames to correct alignment.
- Mount, secure, and align finished lenses in frames or optical assemblies, using precision hand tools.
- Mount and secure lens blanks or optical lenses in holding tools or chucks of cutting, polishing, grinding, or coating machines.
- Shape lenses appropriately so that they can be inserted into frames.
- Assemble eyeglass frames and attach shields, nose pads, and temple pieces, using pliers, screwdrivers, and drills.
- Inspect lens blanks to detect flaws, verify smoothness of surface, and ensure thickness of coating on lenses.
- Clean finished lenses and eyeglasses, using cloths and solvents.
- Select lens blanks, molds, tools, and polishing or grinding wheels, according to production specifications.
- Examine prescriptions, work orders, or broken or used eyeglasses to determine specifications for lenses, contact lenses, or other optical elements.
- Set dials and start machines to polish lenses or hold lenses against rotating wheels to polish them manually.
- Set up machines to polish, bevel, edge, or grind lenses, flats, blanks, or other precision optical elements.
- Repair broken parts, using precision hand tools and soldering irons.
- Position and adjust cutting tools to specified curvature, dimensions, and depth of cut.
- Inspect, weigh, and measure mounted or unmounted lenses after completion to verify alignment and conformance to specifications, using precision instruments.
- Remove lenses from molds and separate lenses in containers for further processing or storage.
- Lay out lenses and trace lens outlines on glass, using templates.
- Immerse eyeglass frames in solutions to harden, soften, or dye frames.
- Control equipment that coats lenses to alter their reflective qualities.
Related Jobs (Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians)