What do Roustabouts, Oil and Gas do?
Assemble or repair oil field equipment using hand and power tools. Perform other tasks as needed.
- Keep pipe deck and main deck areas clean and tidy.
- Unscrew or tighten pipes, casing, tubing, and pump rods, using hand and power wrenches and tongs.
- Walk flow lines to locate leaks, using electronic detectors and by making visual inspections, and repair the leaks.
- Move pipes to and from trucks, using truck winches and motorized lifts, or by hand.
- Bolt together pump and engine parts.
- Guide cranes to move loads about decks.
- Supply equipment to rig floors as requested, and provide assistance to roughnecks.
- Dismantle and repair oil field machinery, boilers, and steam engine parts, using hand tools and power tools.
- Clean up spilled oil by bailing it into barrels.
- Dig drainage ditches around wells and storage tanks.
- Bolt or nail together wood or steel framework to erect derricks.
- Cut down and remove trees and brush to clear drill sites, to reduce fire hazards, and to make way for roads to sites.
- Dig holes, set forms, and mix and pour concrete into forms to make foundations for wood or steel derricks.
Related Jobs (Roustabouts, Oil and Gas)