What do Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers do?
Install and repair telecommunications cable, including fiber optics.
- Travel to customers' premises to install, maintain, or repair audio and visual electronic reception equipment or accessories.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Splice cables, using hand tools, epoxy, or mechanical equipment.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Set up service for customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment.
- Place insulation over conductors or seal splices with moisture-proof covering.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension.
- Install equipment such as amplifiers or repeaters to maintain the strength of communications transmissions.
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks; then pull lines through ducts by hand or with winches.
- Clean or maintain tools or test equipment.
- Explain cable service to subscribers after installation and collect any installation fees that are due.
- Compute impedance of wires from poles to houses to determine additional resistance needed for reducing signals to desired levels.
- Use a variety of construction equipment to complete installations, such as digger derricks, trenchers, or cable plows.
- Dig trenches for underground wires or cables.
- Dig holes for power poles, using power augers or shovels, set poles in place with cranes, and hoist poles upright, using winches.
- Fill and tamp holes, using cement, earth, and tamping devices.
- Participate in the construction or removal of telecommunication towers or associated support structures.
Related Jobs (Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers)