What do Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators do?
Operate or control an entire process or system of machines, often through the use of control boards, to transfer or treat water or wastewater.
- Add chemicals such as ammonia, chlorine, or lime to disinfect and deodorize water and other liquids.
- Inspect equipment or monitor operating conditions, meters, and gauges to determine load requirements and detect malfunctions.
- Collect and test water and sewage samples, using test equipment and color analysis standards.
- Record operational data, personnel attendance, or meter and gauge readings on specified forms.
- Operate and adjust controls on equipment to purify and clarify water, process or dispose of sewage, and generate power.
- Maintain, repair, and lubricate equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Clean and maintain tanks, filter beds, and other work areas using hand tools and power tools.
- Direct and coordinate plant workers engaged in routine operations and maintenance activities.
Related Jobs (Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators)